Save Christiania
(The more you go the less you know part II)

1 kommentarer - Post a comment


















This Sunday I found myself in Denmark, on a casual date with a stunning young woman who looked very much like Angelina Jolie. We went for a walkabout in Christiania, and all the credits go to my Angelina lookalike since the idea was entirely hers.

I haven't been to Chris for three years, since my drunk'n'shouting rock'n'roll Eurotrip by train which started in Copenhagen and came to an end when we run out of money in London few weeks later. I'm loosing the thread to nostalgia again , am I not?

Still, Copenhagens most charming and controversial neighborhood is very much the same. Sure, politic-driven police teams can force weed of the streets, remove some blocks from the pavement only to drop them as heavy rocks of anger into the peoples hearts, but the soul of the neighborhood remains unchanged. Nor by time, nor by outside interference. Christianites are not very receptive. Times stands still here. It's a Sunday evening but the main area of the second floor taverna just above the pusher street is full of people. A sweaty Cuban band is halfway through their 21st rumba. Everybody is having a couple of beers, either chatting about the weather or playing another game of backgammon with their neighbors. The atmosphere itself is laidback, down to earth and smells a lot of magic reefer. Christianites are sophisticated people. The world famous bike shop is open late and the cafées serve very tasty, ecological hot chocolate.

 
This Post has 1 Comment Add your own!
Anonym - 5 januari 2009 kl. 04:34

I thought I was a relatively smart people who read your work I know that I am not!

Skicka en kommentar